Monday, July 11, 2016

Sweet William

On July 11th, 10AM we met William.  We were sitting in our room on pins and needles. He would be here any second. We heard the doorbell and my stomach dropped.  He's here.

I went to open the door and no one was there. Then Spencer and Jacob walk into the room from the adjoining room and start laughing. "Ha, ha. We tricked you."...  I was not amused. It made me feel a little sick. 

A few minutes later there was a knock. It was William. He was brought to our room by three people from the orphanage. He seemed stand offish and cried and clunge to the nanny when she tried to let us hold him.  Clearly he is very attached to his care givers, a wonderful sign. 

We got to talk and get details about his routine and likes and dislikes. Upon first meeting him, all I could think was "hello little stranger." I have been waiting to meet him for so long and seems like I should just know him. But I was struck by the thought  that we don't know each other yet. 

He had a hard time when the care givers left and had interment crying for several hours. Almost as if he was feeling just fine, then remembered...  Hey I was just left with strangers. 

He took his first official nap in the van in Dave's arms. He was pretty tired, busy day. 

At 17 months old I would say he is delayed in fine and gross motor skills. He definitely needs more trunk strength and still drinks 4 bottles a day and occasionally crackers or fruit. We need to be working on getting him on a diet of solid food and lots and lots of playing to improve his strength and coordination. He is not really babbling so we'll see if he needs any speech therapy down the road. 

His fingers and toes look great. They look just like we imagined and so we're prepared for that path. We have 3 medical appointments lined up when we get home. I feel very good about his treatment options and think he is simply amazing. 

Loving every moment of bonding with this little guy. Spencer and Jacob have been very loving and love playing with him. Will seems pretty engaged with toys,  also another good sign that he had stimulation. 

We are just enjoying the moment. 

We are feeling so so blessed. 



l











2 comments:

Sandy Baur said...

Oh Karla! He is so handsome! What a wonderful and emotional day. He is a perfect fit for your family and I know he will quickly make the strides needed in strength and diet! I love you!

Kate said...

He's beautiful, Karla! What a beautiful child - so glad that he's with you at last!! I loved seeing the pictures of the boys altogether - so sweet. Love you all!!