Friday, July 22, 2016

So long Hong Kong

We were in Hong Kong for about 24 hours. We arrived Thursday afternoon and now on Friday evening are sitting at the Hong Kong airport.

I have been really happy with our accommodations and our last hotel was no exception. It was attached to a 7 level shopping center. Tons of restaurants and shopping, we were able to pick up snacks from a grocery store and I also managed to find my favorite drink, that I can only find in Asia. 

We all the restaurant choices, we ended up at outback steak house. We have had lots and lots of Chinese food and it was nice to order burgers and pasta. But frankly eating out has gotten really old and managing three children at a restaurant has been a challenge. I'm quite happy to be bidding adieu to eating out. 

Of course the highlight of our stay in Hong Kong was having William sealed to us in the Hong Kong temple. Wow. 

The first time I attended this temple was in 1998 with my roommate and college friend. I just loved it and little did I know, almost 20 years later I'd be there to have my son sealed to me. 

It was a little hectic when we arrived because we realized we forgot to bring the adoption decree. So Dave and Jacob took a taxi back to the hotel to get it. 

Spencer, Will and I all waited in the youth center until they returned. I got to dress William in white. It was the same white suit each of his older brothers wore. I'm so glad I brought it, it made it very special. 

The temple president, President Wong,  preformed the sealing. He was born in Hong Kong, so it made it so special to have a native Chinese member of the church seal Will to us. He seemed genuinely happy and touched by our adoption story. Spencer and Jacob hot to watch the sealing. 

Spencer remembers, "The words at the front of the building said 'Hong Kong temple'. I remember when we went inside I felt a really peaceful feeling. I knew this was the day that William would be sealed the to us. I remember feeling happy. I remember seeing lots of flowers and people in white. William was so happy when he played with me. I want to remember this feeling from the temple because it will be a long time before I get to go back to the temple. "

Jacob remembers the fountain in the front of the temple. He also remembers all the men wearing white suits. He says, "It was very nice. My favorite part was how peaceful it was. It was super fun and exciting."

After the sealing President Wong had our family all stand together and look in the mirrors that represents eternity. I could feel Ella, Luke and Zoe with us. Our beautiful family, eternal.

The road has not be easy and there are still many hurdles and pitfalls ahead. But I know we have the power of His spirit to guide us along our this marvelous and unexpected journey.


1 comment:

Sandy Baur said...

Pass the tissues please....

What a wonderful day and Spencer and Jacob's memories are just priceless.

On another note, Outback Steakhouse sounds kinds good right about now! We had Japanese food last night LOL Safe travels!